- Case Studies and Individual Harms
The day will cover the following topics:
- Ethics vs Law
- Fairness, responsibility, respect human rights
- Balance between innovation/benefit
- Proactive rather than reactive
- Exercise: Care. Data
- Example: Unintended behaviours
- Example: Lack of foresight
- Example: Difficulty of oversight
- Example: Distributed responsibility
- Risk – Financial, Privacy, Human health, Dignity and Reputation
- Example: Facial recognition
- Deontology (data scientists), Autonomy, Beneficence, Justice,
- Consequentialism (data subjects)
- Environmental approach
- Needs of many vs needs of one
- GDPR, EU law, individual’s vs groups
- Big Data
- Example: Do we need group privacy rights as well as individual ones?
- Automation and Technology
- Mathematical construct
- Example and Case Scenarios
- Epistemic – Quality
- Normative – Effect
- Traceability – Input to output
- Interpretability – Humans don’t think as computers do, how do computers tag images?
- Accessibility – Secret sauce, willingness and technology barrier
- Provenance – Collection, limitations, gaps, labels and bias
- Machine Bias – Examples and Case Scenarios
- Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PETs)
- Privacy by Design (PbD) – Example
What you will learn from the course:
- To gain an understanding of the ethical considerations around the use, collection and utilisation of data from a wider perspective.
- To gain an understanding the ethical considerations of information sharing, discrimination and bias in artificial intelligence and algorithms.
- To understand the needs of the individual and the ethical considerations in the development, collection and usage of data.
- To discuss actions taken with good intentions but vastly unethical.
- How to find a balance between different values and ethical standpoints, delivering for your organisation whilst minimising harms to the individual.
Who should attend?
No matter the size of organisation, role or position. If you are in a situation where you are responsible for the design of products and services, or the management of information and data then this course will give you a greater understanding of the topic.
- Privacy Officers
- Information Governance Managers
- Data Protection Officers
- IT security practitioners
- Any professional working in Information management.
This course covers the difference between Data Ethics, the Law and Risk Management, and so does not cover a set of rules to apply to data like we see in Data Protection law courses.
Suggested Follow on Courses
- Data Protection Impact Assessment
- Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance
- Microsoft 365 Teams Information Protection
- Microsoft 365 Information Privacy & Protection
Will I get a recognised qualification?Jacqueline Stockwell2022-08-02T14:50:04+01:00
As part of our accreditation with the CPD accreditation group, you will receive either 6, 12 or 15 CPD points for each course attended depending on the course.
The Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance is a qualification and is the second qualification of a suite of 3 data protection qualifications.
Do you offer any course discounts?Jacqueline Stockwell2022-08-02T14:47:26+01:00
Yes we offer a 10% discount for the primary delegate if you book more than one person from the same organisation at the same time.
What happens if the course is cancelled?Jacqueline Stockwell2021-01-22T14:17:37+00:00
To try to avoid cancelling face to face courses, however if the number of delegates is below 5 we will offer this a virtual course instead.
See full terms and conditions.
When will I be advised of the venue location?Jacqueline Stockwell2022-08-02T15:09:30+01:00
Exact location are sent out via email, two weeks before the course, we would therefore advise you not to book accommodation until the venue is confirmed.
Don’t know what courses you’ll need to book just yet?
We offer a pre-pay option, where you can pay now and choose what courses to book later (within a year). This option is both cost efficient and speeds up the booking process. It’s really handy for large companies/organisations who have frequent training needs.
Contact us for more information.
If you’re looking to book training for 6 or more people onto the same course, we are able to offer private in-house training – a cost efficient option.
Contact us for more information.