This one day course will help you understand, what is the freedom of information act 2000, the purpose of freedom of information act, who does the freedom of information act apply to, what is a freedom of information request and how to manage requests efficiently, logging requests and how to respond to the them.Following on by freedom of information act exemptions and how to identifying and apply them. The process around internal reviews, tribunal cases and appeals.
What you will learn from the course:
- Be able to describe key aspects of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- Understand the two types of exemptions and what they relate to.
- Review process flows, procedures, policies and guidance.
- Complete exercises and scenarios covering identification of valid requests, calculating costs, refusing requests, applying exemptions and the public interest test, internal reviews and decisions.
The day will cover the following topics:
- What do you know about FOI?
- History of FOI – Background to law,
- Right to be informed – what does this mean?
- What the requesters rights are, what you actually have to tell the requester
- What information is subject to FOI?
- Exemptions – types 8 Absolute exemptions
- 16 Qualified exemptions plus the s25 certificates
- Absolute and Qualified Exemptions
- Public Interest Test (PIT) What this is and how to undertake
- Obligations: Publication Scheme, Confirm or Deny
- Who can make a request and how
- How to identify a request, Valid requests, Timescales
- Duty to provide advice and assistance
- Is there a cost – limits. What do we do with these requests?
- Refusing Requests – Not Held, Vexatious, Repeated, Cost Exceeds, Exemptions apply
- Guidelines and what happens next?
- S45 and S46 Code of Practice
- Complaints – Internal Reviews
- ICO process and actions
- Appeals and Tribunals
- Governance, Logging Handling and Replying to requests
- Policies and Procedures
- Tenders, Bid information and Contracts
- Access to Deceased records, Salaries and Expenses
- “Other legislation – EIR and GDPR/DPA2018
- Learning from Decision Notices, Training and Staff Awareness
Who should attend?
This course is for new and existing Freedom of Information Administrators, Officers and Managers or a professional that has experience of the role. Delegates might also include Information Governance Professionals or their deputies, or anyone working in support of the Freedom of Information Officer role.
Suggested Follow on Courses
- Redaction and Scrutiny
- Information Governance
- Microsoft 365 Teams Information Protection
- Microsoft 365 Information Privacy & Protection
Will I get a recognised qualification?Jacqueline Stockwell2022-08-02T14:50:04+01:00
As part of our accreditation with the CPD accreditation group, you will receive either 6, 12 or 15 CPD points for each course attended depending on the course.
The Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance is a qualification and is the second qualification of a suite of 3 data protection qualifications.
Do you offer any course discounts?Jacqueline Stockwell2022-08-02T14:47:26+01:00
Yes we offer a 10% discount for the primary delegate if you book more than one person from the same organisation at the same time.
What happens if the course is cancelled?Jacqueline Stockwell2021-01-22T14:17:37+00:00
To try to avoid cancelling face to face courses, however if the number of delegates is below 5 we will offer this a virtual course instead.
See full terms and conditions.
When will I be advised of the venue location?Jacqueline Stockwell2022-08-02T15:09:30+01:00
Exact location are sent out via email, two weeks before the course, we would therefore advise you not to book accommodation until the venue is confirmed.
Don’t know what courses you’ll need to book just yet?
We offer a pre-pay option, where you can pay now and choose what courses to book later (within a year). This option is both cost efficient and speeds up the booking process. It’s really handy for large companies/organisations who have frequent training needs.
Contact us for more information.
If you’re looking to book training for 6 or more people onto the same course, we are able to offer private in-house training – a cost efficient option.
Contact us for more information.