Public Course Dates
|Virtual||Frank Rankin||27/Apr/23 09:30||£395||Fully booked|
|Virtual||Frank Rankin||01/Jun/23 09:30||£395||Book|
|Virtual||Rachel Mitchell||20/Jul/23 09:30||£395||Book|
|Virtual||Ralph O'Brien||05/Sep/23 09:30||£395||Book|
|Virtual||Debbie Topping||31/Oct/23 09:30||£395||Book|
|Virtual||Debbie Topping||01/Dec/23 09:30||£395||Book|
The Data Protection Officer (DPO) has a statutory basis in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018. The Data Protection Officer will be the person staff approach for advice and guidance and it is their job to make sure the organisation stays on track with their data protection compliance program.
The Article 29 Working Party details that Data Protection Officers (‘DPO’s) will be at the heart of the legal framework for many organisations. Under the GDPR it is mandatory for certain controllers and processors to designate a DPO. This is the case for all public authorities and bodies (irrespective of what data they process), and for other organisations that – as a core activity – monitor individuals systematically and on a large scale, or that process special categories of personal data on a large scale.
This one-day DPO course presents practical exercises about the role of the Data Protection Officer, including the key responsibilities and actions of the role. The course covers an introduction to privacy law, the GDPR articles, the Designation of a DPO, and the Tasks and Position of DPO. This course includes exercises covering the importance of accountability and transparency. We will look at the difference between implementation, and advice/inform and monitor. It also covers how to avoid conflict of interest and how to manage a difference of opinions.
What you will learn from the course:
- Understand the History of Privacy Law.
- Understand the UK GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018 and associated legal frameworks.
- Learn about Controller and Data Processor, the relationships and relevant compliance obligations with the law.
- Learn about the methods for international data transfers
- Understand the role of the Information Commissioner as the UK Regulator
- Complete scenarios and exercises covering course topics
The day will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to Privacy law and legal framework
- UK General Data Protection Regulation
- Individual rights and lawful basis for processing
- Processing Conditions (lawful basis) vs Rights
- UK GDPR: Processing of special categories of personal data Article 9(1)
- Territorial Extent of EU GDPR and International Data Transfers
- UK GDPR – The Data Protection Officer
- Designation, position and Relationships of the data protection officer
- DPO Tasks:
- Who should be a DPO?
- Skills & expertise
- Implementation vs Advice
- Conflict of Interest
- Risk Based Approach
- Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs)
- UK GDPR: Security of Processing
- Communication of a Data Breaches
- Management systems
- What the DPO did next
- Personal Development
- Organisation Requirements.
Who should attend?
This course is for Data Protection Officers or any staff that work or are associated with the Data Protection Officer role.
Suggested Follow on Courses
- Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance
- Microsoft 365 & Teams Information Privacy & Protection
- Data Protection Impact Assessment
- Data Ethics
As part of our accreditation with the CPD accreditation group, you will receive either 6, 12 or 15 CPD points for each course attended depending on the course.
The Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance is a qualification and is the second qualification of a suite of 3 data protection qualifications.
Yes we offer a 10% discount for the primary delegate if you book more than one person from the same organisation at the same time.
To try to avoid cancelling face to face courses, however if the number of delegates is below 5 we will offer this a virtual course instead.
Exact location are sent out via email, two weeks before the course, we would therefore advise you not to book accommodation until the venue is confirmed.
We offer a 10% discount for bookings of 2 or more public courses.
Don’t know what courses you’ll need to book just yet?
We offer a pre-pay option, where you can pay now and choose what courses to book later (within a year). This option is both cost efficient and speeds up the booking process. It’s really handy for large companies/organisations who have frequent training needs.
Contact us for more information.
If you’re looking to book training for 6 or more people onto the same course, we are able to offer private in-house training – a cost efficient option.
Contact us for more information.
What our clients said about the course
This was a really interactive course. I enjoyed the group discussions and very much enjoyed the risk based approach exercise.
This is a great course for DPO newbies. It’s difficult to pinpoint which aspects were most interesting as all of it was so beneficial. The Trainer made the course particularly engaging and I look forward to booking on to future training with Leadership Through Data.