This course is split into four modules and includes hands on experience in a Microsoft 365 training environment. You will be given an understanding of the most up to date technology underpinned by records management best practice and standards.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe Microsoft 365 Information Architecture
- Describe the differences between SharePoint Sites, Microsoft 365 Groups, Microsoft Teams and OneDrive
- Describe SharePoint Site Collections, Sites, Libraries and Folders
- Design Metadata structure for a Library, Site and Organization
- Create Information Governance Labels including
- Retention Labels
- Record Labels
- Regulatory Record Labels
- Create Retention Policies
- Create Policies to Automatically Assign Information Governance labels
- Describe the Licensing Requirements for Information Governance in Microsoft 365
- Describe the limitation of Microsoft 365 Information Governance features
The course will cover the following topics:
- Records Management and M365
- Microsoft 365 Environment
- Modern Collaboration Architecture
- Considerations in a cloud world
- Data Governance within M365
- Microsoft 365 Information Architecture
- Relationship between Teams & SharePoint
- Metadata and Content types
- Making the most of metadata
- Microsoft Purview compliance portal
- Records Management Overview
- Records Management Features
- Retention Policies
- Retention Labels
- Static and Adaptive scopes
- File Plans
- Retention triggers including event triggers
- Labels declaring records
- Auto-application of retention labels
- Retention labels vs Retention Policies
- Principles of retention
- Disposition options
- Best practice for retention labels and policies
- Licensing requirements for RM
- M365 records management limitations
- Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
- Dashboards, audit log and reporting
- Which license do we need
- Planning for change
- Working together with IT
- M365 Assessment against key RM standards
- To give an overview of the Microsoft 365 ecosystem for Records Managers
- To look at the pros, cons, and weaknesses of various features from a standards and compliance perspective
- To provide an understanding of different approaches to records management
- Considerations when assessing information risk and mitigation / acceptance of risk
- To gain hands-on experience with Microsoft 365 Records Management compliance features
- To work through practical exercises
- To identify key support channels and resources
- Thinking about your next steps and user adoption
Who should attend?
This course is designed for those involved in design and adoption Microsoft 365 for Information governance. You should already have equivalent knowledge and skills to those covered in out Microsoft 365 SharePoint Super User Course.
Designed around Records Managers/Officers or those who have roles including the management of records. Delegates could include Records Managers/staff, Information Governance Officers or Managers and Data Protection Officers.
This is an advanced Microsoft 365 course and assumes you are already:
- Familiar with using Microsoft 365 for file storage including SharePoint
- Familiar with editing document metadata (properties) in SharePoint
You should also have a familiarity with information life cycles and records management in general terms, as covered in our Records Management Training Course.
Features and functionality excluded from this course:
- Privileged Access Management
- Information Barriers
- Customer Key (Encryption at Rest)
- Microsoft Cloud App Security
- Advanced Threat Protection
- Threat Intelligence
- Azure Information Protection
- Identity and Access Management
- Advanced Threat Analytics
- Technical Installation and configuration of M365
- M365 Connectors (Power Automate, Power Apps, Azure Logic Apps)
- Third-party data connectors,
- Microsoft Graph (API, Connectors and Data Connect)
- Managing Classic sites
- Keyword Query Language
- PowerShell scripts
Suggested Follow on Courses
- Microsoft 365 Information Privacy & Protection
- Microsoft 365 Teams Information Protection
- Records Management Deep Dive
As part of our accreditation with the CPD accreditation group, you will receive either 6, 12 or 15 CPD points for each course attended depending on the course.
The Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance is a qualification and is the second qualification of a suite of 3 data protection qualifications.
Yes we offer a 10% discount for the primary delegate if you book more than one person from the same organisation at the same time.
To try to avoid cancelling face to face courses, however if the number of delegates is below 5 we will offer this a virtual course instead.
Exact location are sent out via email, two weeks before the course, we would therefore advise you not to book accommodation until the venue is confirmed.
We offer a 10% discount for bookings of 2 or more public courses.
Don’t know what courses you’ll need to book just yet?
We offer a pre-pay option, where you can pay now and choose what courses to book later (within a year). This option is both cost efficient and speeds up the booking process. It’s really handy for large companies/organisations who have frequent training needs.
Contact us for more information.
If you’re looking to book training for 6 or more people onto the same course, we are able to offer private in-house training – a cost efficient option.
Contact us for more information.